Chasing Brooklyn - Lisa Shroeder

Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Restless souls and empty hearts.

Brooklyn can’t sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca died a year ago, and now their friend Gabe has died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there, waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca chasing her through her dreams.

Nico can’t stop. He’s always running, trying so hard not to feel the pain of missing Lucca. But when he begins receiving messages from his dead brother, telling him to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

This is another story that stays with you long after you finish reading it. Lisa Shroeder has a way of holding into you through her character that makes you completely ache for them and want the best for them. As I was reading I felt like the mother hen trying watch over her baby chicks.

This novel is also written in verse and goes back and forth from Brooklyn's POV to Nico's POV and I really appreciated that about the novel. Nico just broke my heart with some of the things he said and it was nice to see a boy have emotions and not be indifferent to it. You could just tell that this devastated everyone and how much of an impact this was on their lives.

I loved the interactions between Brooklyn and Nico. At first you could tell they were awkward and didn't know what to do around each other but Nico didn't give up. As the novel progressed, the writing became less sad and more uplifiting, like I could feel the anxiety and dpression lifting from their shoulders - I loved that!

The ending was absolutely beautiful, it made me cry like a baby. Get this one and you won't forget it. It brought everything into perspective to me, and it made me realize how important family is and to enjoy them while I can because they won't be around forever. Life isn't permanent and you shouldn't take it for granted.

*****

0 comments:

Post a Comment