Jane by April Linder

Saturday, January 29, 2011
Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

From the second I saw the cover of this book and that the author was inspired by Jane Eyre, I HAD to read this one. When I picked it up, I immediately was drawn to it. The idea of this novel was brilliant, and I liked how the author modernized it from the original. I liked Jane in the beginning, I felt like she was honest and had a firm hold on what her beliefs were.

With that being said, the book started to go a little downhill for me in the middle. The simplest way I can explain it is I wanted more. I wanted more interaction and discussions between Jane and Maddy, I wanted more of the 'forbidden romance' between Nico and Jane, it just seemed to be lacking.

I sort of liked Nico, but I felt like the author took away everything about Mr. Rochester and changed it except the jerkish qualities. I felt Nico was a whiny brat who always wanted his way, He used women to make Jane jealous, and was pretty possessive over her in a scary way. Mr. Rochester is one of the most romantic characters in literature and I don't think he was given justice.

Overall, I still really did like the book. I think someone who hasn't read Jane Eyre first would probably enjoy it more, I found myself constantly comparing to the classic and I wish I hadn't of done that.

4/5!

1 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

It sucks when books lag in the middle, but I'm still really intrigued by this book. Great review, Laura! Love the honesty :)

Post a Comment