Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins

Thursday, July 22, 2010
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. 

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.


As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

I found this novel to be very charming, witty, and dark. I really enjoyed the characters and it was fun getting to know them. I especially loved the relationship between Sophie and Jenna. I have a funny feeling that there's more to Archer than what he's let on and I can't wait to read more about him.

The writing was excellent, and there was something so endearing about Sophie's sarcastic comebacks against her enemies and others that made me love her so. All of the characters had the same pull for me, and I found myself even liking the resident mean girl Elodie.

Above all, the plot was good and kept me wanting to finish the book, and the twist at the end satisfied me enough and had the right amount of closure. I still want to know what happens, but I felt it wasn't a huge and dramatic cliffhanger. A really great novel and I highly recommend it.

The second book, Demonglass, is set to release March 1st, 2011.

*****

4 comments:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

Awesome! I have this one and can't wait to get started on it.

RaĆ­la said...

Oh, I did really liked Hex Hall. I mean, it's a simple but misterious and fun story! I was surprised at times, envolved by the writing. I can't wait for Demonglass! :)

Shantal said...

Sounds like this book is a real page-turner. I've heard nothing but good things about it :) Thanks for the review.

bookish wonders said...

this book sounds soooo good.
I wish i could read it now. (:
Awesome review :D

Post a Comment