Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Thursday, November 5, 2009
Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali.

Starting out, I thought this book was great and was going to have potential. I was right on some levels, on others however, I feel it fell a little short. As much as I really enjoyed the descriptions of everywhere she went, I wanted to hear more about the people she visited and had more dialogue. The blocks of text on the pages seemed never ending and almost made it seem unreadable. There were humorous parts and I enjoyed Liz's sense of witty humor and the way she thought of things. She did inspire me to create a journal where I talk to God and I'm grateful for the spiritual things I took away from the book. Overall, it's a good read and I liked it but it isn't a novel I devoured and would read again.

**

0 comments:

Post a Comment