Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge.

This novel totally kept my blood boiling! I felt horrible for Regina, even though she did deserve some things for her past but these girls were just ruthless. I really wasn't a huge fan of Cracked Up to Be, but the writing was so good I knew I needed to try this one. I'm glad I did, even though I was angry throughout the whole novel.

I felt this novel was very real and a good read for teens to see how words can affect someone. Courtney has a way of getting into the cliques and makes you feel like you're part of the group. Of course her writing was amazing as well as the format of the book, I couldn't stop turning the pages. It makes me feel very old when I think about how conniving kids, especially girls, are these days and I would not want to be in high school in these times.

Overall, this was an inspiring novel and I hope all girls will pick this one up and realize that your words can sting and create a snowball effect. I think teens live in the moment and their actions don't have consquences. All of these things that seem so important in high school is really nothing in hindsight! Very thought provoking novel!

*****

4 comments:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I am going to buy this soon! Great review!

fredamans said...

I'm putting this on my list. Not only will I read it, but my teenage daughter will as well.

Great review!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Fantastic novel through and through with a realistic twist on female bullying. It is a must read for sure. :)

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Half way through this book I was ready to take a Xanax! I love how Summers always pushes her characters right in your face. Great review!

Post a Comment