The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han

Saturday, June 12, 2010
Some summers are just destined to be pretty
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along. 

This novel changed me in so many ways. I started to read and was gripped so tight that I finished the book in three hours. I couldn't put it down and by the end I was thrilled and had a heart ache at the same time.

The characters were wonderful, I loved Belly and looking into her mind and feelings. She did sometimes annoy me as most female characters do, but I enjoyed seeing the growth in her and how independent and strong-willed she was. I thought she did a good job of holding her own with all those boys!

I was a little disappointed with the ending, only because I was hoping she didn't choose the one she did, but there is the next book which came out in April of this year, It's Not Summer Without You. I think it could have a double meaning, those of you who read it will understand what I mean.

Overall, it was a gorgeous novel and I ADORE the cover. Oh my gosh, lovely.

*****

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you loved this one! This has to be one of my favourite books. You described it perfectly when you said how you felt both thrilled and had a heart ache by the end of this novel. I love when books can make you feel something so intensely. And I adore the cover as well, it's perfect. :)

Sara said...

I just read and reviewed this one and I LOVED it as well. I agree with Michelle, gosh I love this series. I can't wait to see what happens next. Both boys are so great I see where it would be hard to choose. Thanks for the lovely review :D

Post a Comment